- 1 Reviews of the Best Hair Straighteners for Curly Hair
- 1.1 1. Elchim Natures Touch Flat Iron
- 1.2 2. BaBylissPRO Porcelain Ceramic Straightening Iron
- 1.3 3. HSI Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron
- 1.4 4. KIPOZI Professional Titanium Flat Iron Hair Straightener
- 1.5 5. INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
- 1.6 6. Remington 1¾” Wet2Straight Flat Iron
- 2 Flat Iron for Curly Hair Buying Guide
- 2.1 How to Choose Best Flat Iron for Curly Hair
- 2.2 A List of the Most Important Features and Specifications of a Flat Iron for Curly Hair
- 3 How to Straighten Curly Hair – A Detailed Guide
- 3.1 How to Use a Flat Iron on Curly Hair: A Step-by-Step Guide
- 3.2 Straightening Tips for Curly Hair
- 3.3 Mistakes to Avoid While Straightening Curly Hair
- 4 FAQs & Answers
- 5 Best Flat Iron for Curly Hair Comparison Chart
- 6 Wrap Up
Is there anything better than curls when aiming for that beautiful and elegant, but still provocative and classy look? We would say no, which is why you should be proud of your hair!
One thing we won’t deny is that it can be a hassle to maintain those curls. We want to reduce the time and effort you invest, which is why we found the best flat irons for curly hair.
The world of flat irons is full of different products, and it is hard to pick from numerous brands available. That is why our expert team made the selection of top-rated appliances for you.
We leave it up to you to choose the perfect iron for your needs. Our team did create an extensive buying guide that should make the selection process easier. Make sure to check it out below, but first, take a look at our flat iron reviews!
Elchim Natures Touch Flat Iron
|View On Amazon|
BaBylissPRO Porcelain Ceramic Straightening Iron
|View On Amazon|
HSI Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron
|View On Amazon|
KIPOZI Professional Titanium Flat Iron Hair Straightener
|View On Amazon|
INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
|View On Amazon|
Remington 1¾” Wet2Straight Flat Iron
|View On Amazon|
Reviews of the Best Hair Straighteners for Curly Hair
1. Elchim Natures Touch Flat Iron
Elchim designed a professional-grade flat iron suitable for salon and at-home use. Your curls will have all they need thanks to 11 different heat settings, and a LED display always to be certain of the current temperature.
The heat varies from 203F to 455F, which means there is plenty of room to find the ideal temperature for your hair. The iron also has a swivel cord so that you have more space to maneuver it.
You can make curls thanks to the floating plates designed of titanium oxide and ceramic. These parallel plates deliver even heat distribution and allow you to achieve desired curls.
One thing to be careful is the automatic shut off timer. It should turn off the appliance after 50 minutes, but in rare cases, it may fail to do that. However, this doesn’t affect the performance or durability, which are both impressive. Read the full review → Elchim Natures Touch
2. BaBylissPRO Porcelain Ceramic Straightening Iron
When it comes to curls, you want an iron that has an even heat distribution and maintains optimal temperature. BaByLiss Pro does that, and it even ensures a high level of heat. The maximum is 450F, but you can use the thermostat dial to adjust it fit your hair type.
The flat iron has a classic black design and a handle that won’t get hot even at maximum temperature. The porcelain ceramic heater is quite reliable when it comes to heating up and recovering, and you can go with long plates to speed up the process of styling your hair.
The product has a long cord, but it doesn’t have a 360-degree swivel feature, which might make it a bit tricky to use for beginners. However, as soon as you adapt to that fact, you will see the full potential of this product in making curls. Read the full review → BaBylissPro™ BABP9557
3. HSI Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron
HSI Professional designed an iron with floating plates that suit any curls. They will automatically adjust to the type and thickness of your hair, which is incredibly convenient.
Additionally, the round design allows you to experiment with curling styles. The plates are a combination of ceramic and tourmaline, and micro-sensors are in charge of distributing heat evenly.
The flat iron minimizes damage to your hair, and the manufacturer even includes a conditioner to promote hair health and volume. If you are going abroad, you will appreciate the dual voltage feature of this device.
You adjust the heat with the temperature dial, but it only shows the lowest and highest temperatures of 240F and 410F. That means it will take a bit of trial and error until you find the desired heat for your hair, but the good news is that the results will be worth it. Read the full review → HSI Professional 3rdGenoriginal
4. KIPOZI Professional Titanium Flat Iron Hair Straightener
If you are looking for a large flat iron, you will find one in this 1.75-inch straightener. That provides versatility and allows you to curl your hair, but also straighten or shape it any way you want.
The iron seems a bit bulky, which is good if you have a long and luscious hair. It might make the use a bit trickier, but you will quickly learn how to get the most out of the appliance. Keep in mind that you can use the iron even if your hair is a bit wet.
When it comes to performance, the product has a wide temperature range. The lowest heat setting is 170F, and you can go up to 450F, which is impressive. The LCD control screen is easy to read from any angle. The manufacturer includes a storage bag with the product, which is a nice touch. Read the full review → Kipozi K-139
5. INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
Conair put in maximum effort into designing a beautiful and versatile flat iron. The grip is tight, and the handle doesn’t get hot. The plates are large (two inches), which means you can work on large hair sections at once.
Reliability and even heat distribution are important for curls, and that is something you can expect from this flat iron. You can choose between five different heat levels with the maximum temperature being set at 455F.
The ceramic and tourmaline heater will not only add to your hair shine but ensure swift heating up of the product in less than 15 seconds. As for the plates, they are coated with ceramic.
If you don’t have experience in working with a flat iron, you might have problems with cord tangling with the beginning. However, that shouldn’t be a reason not to try this reliable hair curling product.
6. Remington 1¾” Wet2Straight Flat Iron
Here is another large flat iron with a 1 ¾-inch plate. This appliance was designed by Remington, which promises optimal results even with wet hair.
The product works to remove humidity from your hair as you use it, which speeds up the styling process up to three times. On top of that, it will protect your hair from damage. The flat iron is also suitable for dry hair, but pay attention that the right indicator is activated.
The maximum heat the product can achieve is 420F, but you can choose from 30 different thermal settings. It takes about 30 seconds to achieve the desired temperature. The manufacturer used ceramic plates with a dose of titanium for added durability.
The product has an automatic shut off feature. However, keep in mind that it takes a while to cool down. Once you finish using the flat iron, be careful where you place it.
Flat Iron for Curly Hair Buying Guide
If you notice that your follicles have an oval shape or a shape that doesn’t seem to be flat, the chances are your hair is curly. When choosing hair care products, you want to pick the ones that meet the specific characteristics of your follicles. That also includes the selection of a flat iron.
You shouldn’t worry if you don’t know where to start. It is precisely why we prepared this buying guide. Start reading and learn how to pick a reliable flat iron for curly hair, and get the desired hairstyle every time!
How to Choose Best Flat Iron for Curly Hair
We will dig into the specifics of the flat iron later, but let’s discuss your hair first. Here is a fun fact – curls are hereditary in 90% of the cases. Also, the chances are that people with flat hair envy you for your curls.
The reason why curls appear is that proteins and keratin, which build every follicle of your hair, make disulfide bonds. It is those bonds that cause the hair to have various shapes, including the curly one.
But did you know there are three different types of curls? Your hair might fall into one of these subcategories:
- Naturally curly hair
- Wavy curls
- Kinky curls
What If You Have a Naturally Curly Hair?
The thing to remember is that hair that is naturally curly is also quite strong. It is why you will need flat irons with a generous amount of heat to straighten and tame them.
The experts recommend curling irons that go up to 450F of heat. Since you need an extreme level of heat, you might consider titanium flat irons because they can achieve high temperatures fast. However, you also can’t go wrong with ceramics and tourmaline, except you will probably need more time to finish styling.
Black hair can be even stronger than other types. Please check out our buyer’s guide of flat irons for natural black hair to find an appliance that is the most suitable for your hair type.
How to Tame Kinky Curls
The name used for this curl type is intriguing, and volume is a trademark of kinky curls. You will also find that these curls are exceptionally strong, which is why they require a high level of heat.
The experts recommend that you should feel free to go up to 450F. Furthermore, you should even consider keeping your hair in the plates for a bit longer to straighten it properly.
We would, however, advise you to be careful with high heat. If it is possible to use a bit lower temperature setting than the highest one, go for it as it can reduce potential hair damage.
Should I Use Extremely High Heat for Wavy Curls?
The third type of curls is “waves.” These may be the softest curls of all three types, which is why the heat you use doesn’t have to be that big.
The experts still recommend keeping the temperature at around 400F, but if you feel you can achieve the desired results, don’t hesitate to lower the heat. Waves are not that resistant, which increases the chances of achieving the desired results with a fairly low temperature.
Additionally, using too much heat may cause hair damage, which is not something that you would like to happen. It is something fine hair owners need to be careful with as their hair is particularly sensitive to high heat damage. That is why you should check the reviews of flat irons for fine hair as it contains appliances most suitable for that type of hair.
Now, as for the desired material, you can’t go wrong with ceramic. Tourmaline can boost heat distribution, which can be helpful to achieve the desired hairstyle quickly.
A List of the Most Important Features and Specifications of a Flat Iron for Curly Hair
Before we proceed, let’s scan the features of a flat iron. These are the parameters that can make a particular unit specific:
- Plate material – the primary thing you want to consider is the material for the plates and its coating. The most popular choice is ceramic, but you will often find this material in combination with tourmaline. It has the task of promoting even heat distribution and minimizing the damage to your follicles. The final option is titanium, which is the most durable and long-lasting material. It can also be the quickest to heat up.
- Plate size – you should choose this based on the type of your hair. If it is long, you can feel free to choose a 1 ½-inch or longer plate diameter. But if your hair is short and sensitive, you may want to go with 1-inch plates or smaller.
- Adjustable heat – some units may have different heat settings to ensure you can optimize the temperature to your hair needs.
- Control buttons – pay attention to the position of the on/off switch and other control buttons. You want them to be conveniently placed on the handle so that you can easily reach them whenever you need them. Additionally, you shouldn’t be able to hit them accidentally while operating the flat iron.
What Is the Ideal Temperature to Straighten Curly Hair?
Curly hair doesn’t mind high heat, which gives you the freedom to go with flat irons that don’t have adjustable temperature settings. However, if you can choose between different heat levels, it is a feature that you want to use. Additionally, curly hair is usually strong, which is why you shouldn’t consider units that can’t reach at least 400F of heat.
If you are choosing a flat iron for thick hair, you can go with a high temperature of between 400-450F. But if your curls are not that aggressive, and you would describe your hair as fine and sensitive, you may go with a heat level lower than that.
You might need to experiment to see how your hair responds to different temperatures. In that case, always start with the lowest setting you think will work for straightening your hair.
What Other Features Should You Consider When Choosing a Flat Iron?
We mentioned basic features, but you can also look for bells and whistles, and characteristics that may add to the convenience of using the device:
- Automatic shutdown – the feature will turn off the iron automatically after some time. In most cases, it will be somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes.
- Brand – a reputable brand is a guarantee that you will receive an original product with all the features as described in the description.
- Warranty – a generous warranty is a fine indicator that the manufacturer designed a high-quality appliance that can serve you for a long time.
- Price – you don’t want to neglect considering the price of your flat iron. First, it must meet your budget. Additionally, it needs to provide a fine ratio of cost and quality. In other words, it needs to be a good value for the money.
How to Straighten Curly Hair – A Detailed Guide
You might know the basics when it comes to how a flat iron operates. However, if you are straightening curly hair, you may need to apply some specific move.
How to Use a Flat Iron on Curly Hair: A Step-by-Step Guide
That is why we prepared a specific step by step guide on straightening curly hair below. And if you want to curl your hair, we also have a best flat iron for curling hair guide that can assist you in the process.
Step 1: It All Starts in the Shower
The first step of straightening curly hair doesn’t even involve using a flat iron. That is because everything starts by washing your hair to prepare it for straightening.
You probably know that, but go with a conditioner and shampoo suitable for curly hair. The ideal product should work on minimizing frizz, which can be especially important if it is high humidity outside.
Even if you have thick hair, you should consider using a heat protectant spray. Use a blow dryer or wait for your hair to be completely dry.
Step 2: Start from the Root
Turn on your flat iron, and wait for it to achieve the desired temperature. Depending on the appliance you are using, it may take up to a minute to reach the preferred heat level, so make sure to be patient.
Now, grab a hair clip or something else you can use to move the upper hair section so that you can reach the root.
Next, take the first section of your hair between the spot where the curl starts and the root. Use your flat iron to straighten it. You want to go relatively slowly, but also keep your hands steady. The ends of the appliance should face a bit inward.
Step 3: Repeat the Process
The previous step is the entire magic of using a flat iron. The only thing remaining to do now is to repeat that on other sections of the hair.
Please note that each section should not be too big and fitting for your appliance. Make sure that the flat iron can pass through the entire section right away because you want to avoid making multiple passes. That will increase the risk of damaging your hair, especially if it is not that coarse.
Also, if it is necessary, modify the section size depending on the location. In other words, pick small sections in areas on the sides and close to the ears, and go with bigger sections where you have more room to maneuver the appliance.
Straightening Tips for Curly Hair
It is time to share some essential tips that will help to straighten your curly hair and make the results last. Here are the factors you want to consider during the process:
Only make multiple passes in this case
– it is vital to avoid making two or more passes at the same hair section. However, you may have missed a small spot, and you noticed that it is still curly. In that case, you can make another quick pass at that part, but make sure not to hold your flat iron for more than a couple of seconds.
Think about not using any finishing products
– while they are recommended for fine hair; strong curly hair might not require any serums or sprays at the end of the process. Furthermore, avoiding to use them may prolong the straightening results. However, this decision is up to you because nobody can deny that finishing products can boost hair quality and volume.
Use a hair protectant spray
– unlike the finishing formulas; you will want to use a protective spray that will improve heat resistance of your hair. It will minimize the damage that flat iron can do. All types of damage are more visible when hair is straight, which is why this additional layer of protection is imperative.
Trim your hair regularly
– while this doesn’t have anything to do with using a flat iron, you should keep in mind that damage like split ends will be more visible if your hair is straight.
Mistakes to Avoid While Straightening Curly Hair
If you want everything to go smoothly, you should stick to the steps and tips we mentioned in the previous to sections. However, if you want to straighten curly hair properly, it is also important not to make any mistakes during the process.
These are the things that may affect the straightening results negatively:
Avoid using flat iron on wet hair
– you may think that it will be easier to straighten it while it is wet, but that is the wrong approach. The only thing you might achieve is a high risk of damaging your hair because it is harder to estimate how long to keep the hair in the plates.
You don’t allow your hair to cool down
– once you finish straightening your hair, it is vital to give it 10-15 minutes to return to its normal temperature before applying finishing products. That way, you minimize the chance of frizz and maximize the potential of any formula that you apply.
Using a low-quality curling iron
– your hair deserves the best possible products and appliances out there. That is why it is vital to pick a high-quality curling iron, and never risk with unknown brands. Remember, it is always better to spend a bit more on a top-quality product that will deliver better results. You can’t put a price on feeling proud and impressing people with how your hair looks!
FAQs & Answers
- Q: How can I minimize hair frizz?
A: Frizz is a frequent problem for owners of curly hair that use flat irons. If you want to minimize frizz while straightening your hair, you should make sure that your iron utilizes the ionic technology. The technology utilizes negative ions to neutralize the static electricity, which will assist in controlling the frizz.
Additionally, you should use a heat protectant spray, as well as other hair products. Make sure to pick ones that are free of damaging compounds, and suitable for your hair type.
- Q: How long will my straightening look last?
A: It depends on your hair specifics. If your curls are not that aggressive, and you would describe them as wavy curls, the effects may last for several days. However, you will have to repeat the process after three or four days.
But if you have natural or kinky curls, the straightened look might not even last overnight. However, if you use a high-quality iron, don’t touch your hair (or turn while you are sleeping) a lot, the results might last for a couple of days.
- Q: Can I travel with my flat iron for curly hair?
A: The chances are you can take your flat iron with you when you are traveling. The majority of countries allow you to enter with these appliances in your luggage. However, you may want to check whether it is against the rules first.
You may want to look for a flat iron with dual voltage support if you are traveling abroad. That way, you will ensure that the appliance will plug into any power socket (120 or 240V). You should also go with a lightweight and compact-sized iron, and a storage case that comes with the product can only be a bonus.
Don’t forget to compare the pros & cons of buying a ceramic vs titanium flat iron.
Best Flat Iron for Curly Hair Comparison Chart
|PRODUCT||PRICE||Plate Material||Plate Width||Maximum Heat||Warranty|
|Elchim Natures Touch Flat Iron||$$||Ceramic Titanium||1 inch||455°F||Lifetime|
|BaBylissPRO Porcelain Ceramic Straightening Iron||$||Porcelain Ceramic||1 inch||450°F||3 years|
|HSI Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron||$||Ceramic Tourmaline||1 inch||410°F||1 year|
|KIPOZI Professional Titanium Flat Iron Hair Straightener||$||Titanium||1 3/4 inches||450°F||1 year|
|INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron||$||Ceramic Tourmaline||2 inches||455°F||5 years|
|Remington 1¾” Wet2Straight Flat Iron||$||Ceramic Titanium||1 3/4 inches||420°F||2 years|
Many would say that it is a blessing to have curly hair, and we are sure you feel the same. When you are choosing the products to nurture and style your hair, you need to consider the curl specifics.
As for curling irons, the appliance must have the required amount of heat. You will need high temperature to tame those curls, so make sure that the product you pick can meet the requirements. Our buying guide also shows you other details that you should consider when picking the best flat iron for curly hair, and ensuring that it will fit your needs.
Feel free to take another look at our reviews. Reading them will allow you to learn more about top-rate units, and find which suits your requirements the most. You don’t have to rush your decision – take your time finding all the necessary information as that is the only way to make a smart buying decision.