If you want to protect your thin hair, you must find the best curling iron for fine hair available today.
But how, and which ones? Consider these few but important points before you decide which one to buy.
Fine hair has two things working against it that makes it so different than thick hair.
First is that there’s just not as much of it, which means there is less quantity.
Second is that each strand itself is thinner.
Therefore, fine hair is quite delicate and requires extra care and attention. You certainly don’t want to damage it because it would be so noticeable.
- NuMe Titan 3 Curling Iron
- PRICE $$
- Barrel Type : 100% titanium barrels
- Barrel Size : 19 - 25 - 32 mm
- Maximum Heat : 392°F
- Rusk Engineered Curl Freak Curling Machine
- PRICE $$
- Barrel Type : Infused with ceramic and tourmaline
- Barrel Size : N/A
- Maximum Heat : 450°F
- SARAHPOTEMPA Beachwaver Pro Curling Iron
- PRICE $$$
- Barrel Type : Ceramic Barrel
- Barrel Size : ¾, 1 , 1 ¼ inches
- Maximum Heat : 450°F
- HSI PROFESSIONAL Curling Iron Set
- PRICE $$
- Barrel Type : Ceramic Tourmaline Barrel
- Barrel Size : ¾”, 1″, 1.5″ and ¾ to 1″
- Maximum Heat : 400°F
- Sedu Revolution Clipless Curling Iron
- PRICE $$$
- Barrel Type : Ceramic Barrel
- Barrel Size : 25 mm
- Maximum Heat : 350°F
- Chi Pro Auto Rotating Ceramic Curling Iron
- PRICE $$
- Barrel Type : Ceramic Barrel
- Barrel Size : 1 inch
- Maximum Heat : 410°F
- 1 Best Curling Iron for Fine Hair Reviews
- 2 1. NuMe Titan 3 Curling Iron
- 3 2. Rusk Engineered Curl Freak Curling Machine
- 4 3. SARAHPOTEMPA Beachwaver Pro Curling Iron
- 5 4. HSI PROFESSIONAL Curling Iron Set
- 6 5. Sedu Revolution Clipless Curling Iron
- 7 6. Chi Pro Auto Rotating Ceramic Curling Iron
- 8 Best Curling Iron for Fine Hair Buying Guide
- 9 A Little More Information about Fine Hair Characteristics
- 10 The Temperature Factor When Using a Curling Iron on Your Fine Hair
- 11 Some Final Thoughts on the Best Curling Iron on Your Fine Type Hair
- 12 The Top 3 Things to Consider When Buying a Curling Iron for Your Fine Type Hair
- 13 How to Curl Fine Hair?
- 14 Best Curling Iron for Fine Hair Comparison Chart
- 15 Bottom Line
Best Curling Iron for Fine Hair Reviews
1. NuMe Titan 3 Curling IronThis curling wand may seem pricey, but that is because it comes with three interchangeable barrels. The titanium barrels heat up quickly saving up on time. The ionic technology emits negative ions that control frizz and give you smooth and shiny results. The iron can heat to highs of 410f .temperature control buttons are found on the handle of the iron to adjust to your preferred heat settings.
The barrels are designed to suit different hair types. Suggestions on the amount of heat for fine, normal or thick hair are included.
The long barrels make styling more efficient by curling more hair at a time. The barrels come in three different sizes. One at 19mm, 25mm and 32 mm.The attachments you choose determines the size of wave you form. If you have fine hair the 32mm s great for adding volume while the other two sizes will suit your hair thickness without weighing it down. The curling wand has a dual voltage that means you can travel comfortably without worrying about the fate of your tools once plugged in at a different location.
Remember that fine hair is not to be over processed or mishandled. Use a heat protectant low temperature when curling your hair. Titanium can get super-hot, super-fast so proceed with caution if you have fine hair. The iron also has a nine-foot swivel cord.
This iron would work well for almost all hair types. Being in the mid-level flat iron market, you can be assured of quality results.
You may also like: Nume Curling Irons
2. Rusk Engineered Curl Freak Curling MachineThe Rusk curling machine is a curling device that caters to your need in all ways. You can use the machine to create beachy waves or soft curls by choosing a particular setting. The curler can work well on all types of hair. The maximum heat achieved on this machine is 450f.
There are three heat settings on the machine for fine, normal and thick hair, this way you don’t have to struggle to figure out which heat setting is right for you. The hair goes into the curler smoothly with no snags. The body of the curler is made of materials that resist excessive heat making t easy to handle the iron even at high temperatures. The ceramic plates allow for even distribution of heat giving you uniformly curled hair. The ceramic mineral complex has negative ions emitted that fight frizz and gives you a smooth and shiny look. The far infrared energy conditions and locks in moisture. You can choose which curls you want to create from the three curl settings. The thing with fine hair is that it can look very limp and lackluster if always left straight so vamp up your look with some curls.
The machine can create curls for you without worrying about singeing your fingers. The only issue with this machine is that it’s somewhat cumbersome and would be tiresome to use on your hair. Otherwise, it’s a great appliance that can add lots of volume and definition your fine hair.
3. SARAHPOTEMPA Beachwaver Pro Curling IronWith a name like Beachwaver, it’s no surprise what this curler does best. It is self-rotating and works by simply holding one section of hair in place with the clamp, pressing the L or R button (for the left or ride side of your head), and then pressing “Go”. It curls itself in the direction you choose.
You release the clamp, and the curl falls down perfectly. You can remove the barrel right down the center cylinder of each curl and move on to the next section.
The ceramic rod features both tourmaline and gold powder to maintain constant heat.
The LED screen varies from 310-450F, so take care with high heat. Because of this heat level, it includes a 30-minute auto shut off, cooling safety stopper, and rubber stand.
The extra long swivel cord means that it won’t tangle while it’s doing all that work for you.
4. HSI PROFESSIONAL Curling Iron SetStill not sure just which barrel size is right for you? Well, how about all of them!
This clipless HSI comes with not one, not two, but all three of the sizes we recommended plus an extra 1-inch barrel that’s tapered.
All barrels are made of ceramic and tourmaline and equipped with far infrared technology.
The digital controls let you change the heat no matter which size you choose but will never turn on by themselves if not locked properly in place first.
No more buying multiple sizes of curling irons because they’re all here in one place.
5. Sedu Revolution Clipless Curling Iron
Want to get those loose gorgeous waves that add much-needed volume to your fine hair? The Sedu Clipless is the way and it is already one of the market’s best curling irons available today!
The barrel is made of a ceramic tourmaline combo with far infrared heat that stays even throughout its entire length.
The digital temperature controls only go up to 350F, which will prevent you from accidentally overheating. It also features auto shut off and a two-year warranty.
It comes equipped with a heat protecting glove and kickstand that keeps the tip pointed upward while cooling when finished.
6. Chi Pro Auto Rotating Ceramic Curling Iron
The curling iron makes styling so much fun with its rotating barrel. It has back, forward and reset options for rotating. Its heat can be adjusted using the controls and set to an exact temperature that is easily seen on the digital display.
The one-inch ceramic barrel will curl your hair well. You can make the curls larger by wrapping larger portions of hair around the barrel instead of getting an extra iron. The barrel emits negative ions that reduce frizz and condition your hair.
A long 9foot swivel cord allows you to maneuver both the space in which you’re styling and your head comfortably. Its ergonomic design is engineered to give you a firm and comfortable hold. The curler is lightweight at only 2.2 pounds making hand fatigue a thing of the past. The wand heats up to a maximum temperature of 450f.
The curler heats up in just 30 seconds saving up on time. For fine hair use the lower heat settings. You can create tight spiral curls or loose beachy waves on this iron. After creating your curls finger comb the hair to fluff it up and increase the volume.
You might want to consider other curlers for shorter hair since .the clip doesn’t hold short hair so well on the barrel. Make sure to use the heat protectant when using higher temperatures to avoid burning your hair. The curling iron is great for fine hair because its plates are made from ceramic which is gentle and the ionic technology reduces the amount of heat used.
Best Curling Iron for Fine Hair Buying Guide
People with thick hair are often found complaining about how hard their hair type is to style but that is actually a good thing. That is because their hair is strong and naturally resilient so it does not get damaged as easily when applying heat to style it. Just the opposite is true with fine hair and although it curls easily when you use a curling iron on it, you have to be very careful to not severely damage it in the process.
So what’s the answer when it comes to curling your fine hair besides just not doing it? The answer is finding a curling iron with the right combination of heat and other characteristics so it does a good job curling it yet leaves your fine hair undamaged in the process.
A Little More Information about Fine Hair Characteristics
If you have fine hair you are not alone as a significant amount of the population has it? Although it is not the most common type of hair there are still many curling irons made that are ideal for shaping it.
Fine hair is all about the diameter of the strands of hair on your head. It simply means your strands of hair are thinner and do not have the stronger hydrogen bonds that thicker hair has. This makes your hair easier to shape but also easier to damage as I mentioned before.
Make sure you don’t confuse the amount of hair you have with the thickness of it. You can have a large amount of hair sprouting out of your scalp (density) but that hair can still be fine in nature.
The Temperature Factor When Using a Curling Iron on Your Fine Hair
Getting the right heat setting on a curling iron to curl your fine hair is a tricky proposition. That is because the more heat you put in your hair the easier it is to shape but the more heat the more your fine hair is prone to be damaged. You have to find the proper balance when it comes to heat and that is not always easy, especially since it’s somewhat hard to predict because no two people’s hair reacts the same way when heated.
Keep in mind that lower heat settings are recommended when using a curling iron to style your fine hair. That is because it does not take very high heat to break the weaker hydrogen bonds that are commonly found in thin hair.
What I can tell you is some general parameters about the heat setting on a curling iron that will get you in the area where you will get the best results without damaging your hair.
Here are some important heating characteristics for a curling iron to have that you will use on your fine hair:
- It must have a lower range of available heat settings. Preferably it will have multiple or adjustable settings that will let you curl your fine hair at less than 200 degrees
- It must have a coated barrel. Pure metal barrels are prone to damaging fine hair. A ceramic coating works best because it distributes heat evenly and does not tend to create super-hot spots that damage fine hair
- A ceramic barrel infused with tourmaline crystals is even better because it cuts down on your fine hairs resistance and helps it retain its moisture so you do not get split ends or frizz
- Use a curling iron model that has a smaller barrel size when curling your fine hair (1 or 1 ¼ inch barrel preferably) for best control and curling results
- A curling iron with these heating characteristics will curl your fine hair nicely and avoid damaging it if you are careful.
Some Final Thoughts on the Best Curling Iron on Your Fine Type Hair
I hope you have gotten the message that although it takes heat to break down hydrogen bonds in your hair you don’t need to use extreme heat on fine hair to do that. That is why if you buy a curling iron with several low heat settings, is ceramic coated and has a smaller barrel size you should easily be able to get perfect curls without damaging your hair.
Once you start looking for the ideal curling iron for your fine type hair you will find there are many that have the suggested heating characteristics we mentioned. Take your time when shopping and you should be able to find one that will leave you very satisfied with your curling iron purchase.
The Top 3 Things to Consider When Buying a Curling Iron for Your Fine Type Hair
We will share the 3 most important things you should consider, so you can choose the right curling iron for fine hair.
- Barrel Size
The right hair wand for your thinner locks is one that is not too small or large.A small one will give you really tight ringlets, while a large one might not even make a noticeable dent.Try ¾ or a 1-inch for beachy waves and 1 ¼ inches for larger, looser curls. Anything outside of that will give you a much more customized look, which you might want for a special event.But on a daily basis, something right down the middle is a good bet.
- Plate Material & Technology
Ceramic is always the best choice for fine hair. It is extremely easy to use and keeps even heat, which means you will have to curl each section just once.While girls with thicker hair always have to worry about frizz, girls with finer locks get all the static electricity. Older technologies don’t counteract all those positive ions the way ceramic and tourmaline do and therefore leave your hair literally standing on end.
- Temperature Settings & Heating
Consider a clipless curling iron so that your hair is never clipped in too long because you will not need high heat very often. High heat is very damaging, so if you do choose a traditional iron, one with variable heat settings is best.You can easily choose a lower setting for those most delicate pieces near your face.Knowing your hair well is the most beneficial thing here. Depending on how well your hair can hold a curl, that’s what will help you choose your heat setting. Go only as high as you need to without pushing the envelope too far.
How to Curl Fine Hair?
Always Prep First!
Fine or thin hair requires products that won’t weigh it down. Choose a lightweight shampoo or one that offers thickening power. You might want to skip the conditional altogether, but if not, consider a leave-in that you can comb through in small amounts.
If you do wash conditioner into your hair, wring out all your hair first, and then massage the conditioner into just the ends. Leave the roots alone so that they don’t appear greasy.
The same goes for your styling products, like heat protectants. Apply them lightly and use sprays instead of heavy lotions. This way you can mist products into your hair and get all-over coverage without weight.
Dry your hair completely using medium heat when possible to minimize the amount of heat you’ll need from your curling iron.
Hold each section of hair around the barrel for just 2-3 seconds each.
Tips & Tricks:
- To prevent damage, try not to curl the same section of hair more than once.
- Curl sections of hair in opposite directions if you want the appearance of more volume.
- On the top section of your hair, try not to get too close to the roots. This will leave more volume, which fine hair can always use.
- Use a wide-tooth comb when combing out wet hair or finished looks. This will result in the least amount of hair loss. If you want even more volume, use a fine-tooth comb to tease the top section up.
Best Curling Iron for Fine Hair Comparison Chart
|PRODUCT||PRICE||Barrel Type||Barrel Size||Maximum Heat|
|Chi Pro Auto Rotating Ceramic Curling Iron||$$||Ceramic Barrel||1 inch||410°F|
|NuMe Titan 3 Curling Iron||$$||100% titanium barrels||19 - 25 - 32 mm||392°F|
|Rusk Engineered Curl Freak Curling Machine||$$||Infused with ceramic and tourmaline||N/A||450°F|
|SARAHPOTEMPA Beachwaver Pro Curling Iron||$$$||Ceramic Barrel||¾, 1 , 1 ¼ inches||450°F|
|HSI PROFESSIONAL Curling Iron Set||$$||Ceramic Tourmaline Barrel||¾”, 1″, 1.5″ and ¾ to 1″||400°F|
|Sedu Revolution Clipless Curling Iron||$$$||Ceramic Barrel||25 mm||350°F|
If you want to protect your delicate locks and prevent years of damage, making an investment into the perfect product will not only help you look your best now but will keep your hair looking beautiful and healthy for years to come.
When looking for the best curling iron for fine hair, a simple discount store tool won’t do!