- 1 Reviews of the Best Curling Irons for Long Hair
- 2 1. CHI Air Spin N Curl Products
- 3 2. Kiss products Ceramic Instawave 1” Automatic Curling Iron
- 4 3. BESTOPE 5 in 1 Ceramic Curling Iron Wand Set
- 5 4. HOT TOOLS Signature Series Gold Curling Iron/Wand
- 6 5. Bed Head Makin’ Waves”S” Waver Creates Loose Waves
- 7 6. INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Tourmaline Ceramic Curling Wand
- 8 Curling Iron for Long Hair Buying Guide
- 9 A List of the Most Important Features and Specifications
- 10 Questions to Ask When Choosing the Best Curling Iron for Long Hair
- 11 What Barrel Material Is the Best for a Curling Iron?
- 12 Should I Use a Small or Big Barrel?
- 13 What Temperature Should I Use for My Hair Type?
- 14 How to Pick a Curling Iron You Are Comfortable to Use
- 15 How Can I Improve the Portability of My Curling Iron?
- 16 How to Curl Long Hair Correctly
- 17 Flat Wrapped Hair
- 18 Lazy Curl
- 19 Spiral Curls
- 20 Curling Iron Tips for Long Hair
- 21 Common Mistakes While Curling Long Hair
- 22 Tips on How to Uphold Long-Lasting Curls for Long Hair
- 23 FAQs & Answers
- 24 Best Curling Iron for Long Hair Comparison Chart
- 25 Wrap Up
Not many things can give a confidence boost like a perfect hairstyle. If you were always dreaming of having dazzling curls, it is time to start using a curling iron!
The main purpose of these appliances is to get you those curls you always wanted. In this article, we are reviewing the best curling irons for long hair. It doesn’t matter if you have thin or thick hair because we singled out a selection of top-rated units, and picked something for everyone’s preference.
We recommend checking out our buying guide section as it contains all the information you will need to pick an ideal appliance for your needs. And if you have never used a curling iron before, that is no reason to worry. We also have a “how to use” section that will reveal detailed steps to getting long-lasting curls. If you are ready, let the journey of learning more about curling irons begin!
CHI Air Spin N Curl Products
||View On Amazon|
Kiss products Ceramic Instawave 1” Automatic Curling Iron
||View On Amazon|
BESTOPE 5 in 1 Ceramic Curling Iron Wand Set
||View On Amazon|
HOT TOOLS Signature Series Gold Curling Iron/Wand
||View On Amazon|
Bed Head Makin’ Waves”S” Waver Creates Loose Waves
||View On Amazon|
INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Tourmaline Ceramic Curling Wand
||View On Amazon|
Reviews of the Best Curling Irons for Long Hair
1. CHI Air Spin N Curl Products
CHI designed an unusual curling iron, but one that is simple to use, even if you are a beginner. The manufacturer used ceramic as the primary material for the barrel. Thanks to the average size of the barrel (one inch), you should have enough freedom to choose between different curl types.
The rotating curling iron has a modern digital display that will show you the current temperature. The maximum heat it can reach is 410F, and you can customize temperature settings based on your hair density.
The appliance uses far-infrared heat to ensure that it can tame even the coarsest hair. It is a wise choice for daily use, and the only downside is its completely round design. That makes it easy to roll off the counter where you place it, which is something to keep in mind. However, that is far from a deal-breaker since this curling iron is reliable, and can deliver consistent results for a long time.
2. Kiss products Ceramic Instawave 1” Automatic Curling Iron
If you are a beginner or looking to minimize the effort while making curls, how about letting the curling iron do most of the job? The InstaWave can make curls in two different directions, and you can choose the desired one by simply flipping a switch.
The product manages to stay tangle-free thanks to the specially designed spinner. The ionic technology ensures that your hair retains its moisture and shine, while also minimizing frizz.
The curling iron features a ceramic-coated barrel that can secure up to 420F of heat. However, please note that you can’t choose the actual temperature level, but only change between low and high heat setting.
The barrel has average one-inch size for optimal versatility. You shouldn’t worry if you leave the curling iron on because its automatic turning off feature will activate after being on for 90 minutes.
3. BESTOPE 5 in 1 Ceramic Curling Iron Wand Set
It is nice when you have the option of experimenting with different barrel sizes as that allows you to try out many curl types. That is what BESTOPE had in mind, which is why they designed this 5-in-1 set.
It sounds amazing, but you will get five interchangeable barrels with this curling iron. The smallest one has only 0.35 inches in diameter, and the largest one has a diameter of 1.25 inches. It should be enough to switch between tight and loose curls whenever you like.
The curling iron doesn’t have adjustable heat settings, and it only operates at 410F. That shouldn’t be a problem for most long hair types, and it shouldn’t stop you from trying the appliance. Finally, it is worth noting the rose gold design that makes it elegant and suitable to use in salons. You can also take the unit to travels since it has dual voltage support.
4. HOT TOOLS Signature Series Gold Curling Iron/Wand
Hot Tools has always been a manufacturer that tries to stand out from the crowd, and they managed once again with the Signature Series Curling Iron/Wand. The appliance features a gold-plated barrel to ensure optimal heat distribution.
You can choose between four different barrel sizes, with the smallest being ¾ inches and the largest 1 ½ inches. It is a shame that the barrels are not interchangeable, but you have to buy separate irons.
The unit has different heat adjustments. The lowest one is 280F, and that is adequate for fragile hair, while the owners of strong and coarse hair can turn the heat up to 430F. It only takes about 30 seconds for the product to achieve the desired heat, which is impressive. The manufacturer ensured to keep the tip of the barrel cold to protect your fingers while operating the curling iron.
5. Bed Head Makin’ Waves”S” Waver Creates Loose Waves
Bed Head went with a different approach and used plates instead of a barrel. Their appliance for making curls has S-shaped plates that are ideal if you are looking for beach waves.
The plates use a mixture of ceramic and tourmaline to ensure optimal heat distribution and minimize frizz and hair damage. The maximum heat the product can achieve is 400F. You can customize temperature settings, and the heat recovery speed is quite impressive.
The company also included a 360-degree swivel cord so that even beginners can use the device effortlessly. The cord is six-foot-long, which is quite standard.
The barrel locking switch makes the product easy to store and transport. The only downside might be the lack of an LCD screen, but that is far from a deal-breaker. Ultimately, this appliance remains an excellent choice if you want loose waves as you’ve only returned from the beach!
6. INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Tourmaline Ceramic Curling Wand
Conair decided to feature an extremely long barrel that can be a smart selection for all those with long hair. Thanks to the added length, you can easily wrap any hair segment around the one-inch barrel. The material of choice is a mixture of ceramic and tourmaline, which additionally contributes to minimizing frizz and hair damage.
You can choose between five different heat adjustments. Those with long, but fine hair should keep the heat at around 310F. But if you have natural black or otherwise coarse hair, you can turn the heat up to 400F. It will only take about 30 seconds to achieve the highest temperature.
The design of the product is unique, and the color combination looks elegant, but the handle of the product may be a bit thinner than usual. Although that takes some getting used to, it makes the curling wand more convenient for travel.
Curling Iron for Long Hair Buying Guide
It is time to learn more about curling irons! If you haven’t used these devices before, we have a detailed guide on how to achieve different types of curls. And even if you have some experience, but you want to improve your skills, you will benefit from the expert tips provided.
Before that, we have a comprehensive buying guide filled with explanations and answered questions related to choosing a perfect iron for long hair.
A List of the Most Important Features and Specifications
First, we would like to make a brief overview of all the features that curling irons might have. These are the characteristics that you might notice in product descriptions:
- Barrel material – the majority of curling irons contain ceramic, titanium, tourmaline, or combination of these materials.
- Barrel size – the sizes can vary from under one inch to more than two inches. Depending on the size, they may be suitable for different types of hair and curls.
- Temperature settings – some units offer adjustable heat, while others have only a single setting available. Depending on the thickness of your hair, the suitable heat can be anywhere from 265F to 450F.
- Controls – most curling irons have switches that you use to activate the appliance and turn it off once you finish using it. Additionally, you will find heat dials or buttons to adjust the temperature.
- Safety features – these can vary from automatic shut off to specifics in the design that keep the outside of the barrel cool so that your hands don’t get burnt.
- Accessories – the list of accessories you can get usually starts with a glove to protect you from the heat. Some manufacturers include a storage case, which is also convenient for travels.
When choosing a curling iron that fits your needs, you want to consider the length and thickness of your hair. For example, the best curling irons for fine hair have low-heat options, but you need a high temperature for thick hair. Keep reading to discover questions to ask to make the buying process easier.
Questions to Ask When Choosing the Best Curling Iron for Long Hair
Your hair belongs to the long hair category, but did you know there are also different categories based on thickness? These are the three main hair types:
- Thick and coarse
If your hair is prone to damage, and it is easy to break it, the chances are that you have fine and sensitive hair. On the other hand, if you noticed that your hair is tough to tame and strong, you probably have thick and coarse hair. In that case, you may want to check out the reviews of curling irons for thick hair to find the ideal appliance for your needs.
You should look for different features in your curling iron based on the density of your hair, and these are the questions you should ask in the process.
What Barrel Material Is the Best for a Curling Iron?
The material choice is important for every product, and curling irons are no different. You should go with one of the following materials:
- Ceramic – a fairly affordable material that manages to maintain a consistent temperature in all parts of the barrel. It can heat up quite quickly, and it can work for all hair types.
- Tourmaline – it secures admirable heat distribution, which can be important if you are using a low heat setting. Although you can use it for all heat types, that makes it a smart pick for fine hair. You will often find tourmaline in combination with ceramic as that mixture works on reducing frizz, and promoting hair shininess.
- Titanium – a material that may be a bit costly, but it is also very durable. Apart from being strong, it is very light, which makes titanium flat irons easy to use. You can use this material for thick hair that is difficult to tame. Titanium can quickly achieve extremely high heats.
- Gold – some manufacturers use gold-plated barrels due to the gold’s impressive heat-conducting features.
Should I Use a Small or Big Barrel?
That will depend on the curls you want to achieve. The general rule is to go with a small barrel if you want tight curls. Big barrels, however, are more suitable for loose curls.
The industry experts consider small barrels those that are up to a one-inch in diameter, and bigger barrels can go up to two inches and above.
It is vital to mention that long hair is more suitable for barrels that have at least one inch in size. It will be easier to use these barrels because the curling iron can easily curl the segment of the hair that you grab.
What Temperature Should I Use for My Hair Type?
Do you have sensitive and fine hair prone to damage and breaking? In that case, you shouldn’t mess with high heat. Always use the lowest temperature setting first, and work your way up only if necessary. You can consider curling irons with adjustable heat. The low settings can be as low as 265F, but temperatures up to 350F might also be suitable. It all depends on the sensitivity of your hair.
If you have strong and unruly hair with thick strands, you should consider curling irons with the capabilities of reaching the highest heat. According to experts, around 450F should be the maximum temperature used with a curling iron, or you risk hair damage.
How to Pick a Curling Iron You Are Comfortable to Use
All those bells and whistles are nice, but you need a curling iron that you will enjoy using, especially if you are a beginner. As for comfort, you should consider these segments:
- Button placement – a curling iron will have switches to turn the unit on and off, as well as buttons that allow you to adjust the temperature. It is important to consider the placement of these buttons. You want to be able to adjust everything easily, but the buttons should be hidden enough so that you don’t hit them accidentally while operating the appliance.
- Swivel cord – a 360-degree swivel cord can be a useful feature to improve the comfort of using a curling iron. It will prevent any tangling and allow you to focus on getting perfect curls. You should also ensure that the cord has adequate length. It needs to reach the power socket easily, and give you plenty of wiggle room when operating.
How Can I Improve the Portability of My Curling Iron?
Do you plan to travel frequently, and you need to find a curling iron suitable for your trips? The first thing you should ensure is to pick a compact-sized unit. The next consideration is weight, and the curling iron you select should be as light as possible.
You could also benefit from the dual voltage support feature. That makes the appliance compatible with all power sockets in the world, and it won’t matter where you are traveling. Finally, a convenient storage case may protect your device during transport.
How to Curl Long Hair Correctly
It is time to learn how to use a curling iron for long hair! The first thing to ensure is that you’ve got the right appliance and settings. If you are choosing a curling iron for beach waves, you don’t need as much heat as for tight curls. The ultimate choice is up to you, but make sure that you pick a device that is easy to use and can deliver the results you expect.
The preparation process is the same regardless of the types of curls you want. Start by washing your hair, and getting it totally, or almost totally dry. Select a spray that protects your hair from the heat, and turn on your curling iron.
Choose the desired temperature, and wait about 30-60 seconds for the device to achieve it. From there, follow the guide below depending on the types of curls that you want!
Flat Wrapped Hair
The idea is to make voluminous curls that are quite wide, although you can adjust them by picking the desired section size. The experts suggest your segments should be at least 1 ½ inch wide.
You want to keep each segment wrapped flat against the barrel of your appliance. Make sure not to twist it as it is vital to keep the hair flat.
Always start from the root, and move toward the ends. Leave the last two inches to get a more undone and natural appearance.
It is another name for loose waves that look like you’ve just returned home from the beach. Get the first segment of your hair and lift it to a 90-degree angle.
Position the curling iron so that the barrel is behind the segment, but the appliance remains in front of it. Flat wrap your hair around the iron but avoid twisting it around the barrel. Continue holding the segment, and get the appliance near the scalp. Let the heat do its job and move to the next segment.
You can use your fingers and hands to adjust the curls.
You want to take a segment of your hair and twist or braid it. Feel free to experiment to see the results of both methods, and choose your favorite.
You want to take the segment, twist it, and then wrap it around the appliance. Make sure to follow the same direction throughout the process. After wrapping the segment, let the heat of the curling iron do its job.
Continue by repeating the process with other hair segments. Give enough time for the curls to set, and use your fingers to boost volume by shaking them after they get cool.
Curling Iron Tips for Long Hair
Would you like to make your long hair curly and dazzle everyone around you? These are the tips that you should follow to achieve better curls:
- If you want beach-like waves, a large barrel will give you that loose look. However, you should go with a small barrel if you aim for tight curls.
- Are you looking for voluminous curls that look natural? Try moving the curling iron away from your face on both sides!
- You should always use a heat protectant. These sprays aim to improve the thermal resistance of your hair, assist with heat distribution, and help your hair to retain the moisture. They are particularly important for people with fine hair.
- It is all about a natural look, especially if you are going for beach waves. Not every curl has to look perfect, so feel free to go in alternating directions to achieve a more natural look.
Common Mistakes While Curling Long Hair
If you are beginner, you might be making some mistakes in using your curling iron. These are some common occurrences that you shouldn’t let happen when curling your hair:
- You don’t clean the appliance – it is vital to clean your curling iron to maintain its performance. It is possible that hair or other residues get stuck in the crevices, which is why cleaning the tool is essential. For effective cleaning, wait for the product to cool down and use a damp cloth. Never put the curling iron under cold water, or you might damage it!
- You don’t use the right heat – if you use too much heat, you are risking to damage your hair, especially if it is sensitive. At the same time, a low temperature might be ineffective for thick and coarse hair. It is all about striking the right balance.
- Your hair segments are too big – you may be in a rush, but it is vital to ensure the segments you curl to fit into your curling iron. The segments shouldn’t be too large or thick, or the appliance may have issues heating all strands, which can affect the look and longevity of the curls. A one-inch segment should be enough in most cases.
Tips on How to Uphold Long-Lasting Curls for Long Hair
Don’t you hate it when you make great curls, but they can’t last for more than several hours? Check out these tricks that can boost the longevity of your curls:
- A long-lasting curl should start at the root. You want to go as close to the root as possible to extend the longevity of the curls, but be careful not to damage your hair.
- Avoid touching your hair as much as possible. We know that you are dying to touch your curls, but avoid doing so, especially immediately after you finish using the curling iron.
- Use the brush only after the curls cool down. Being patient throughout the entire process is important to ensure your curls last longer. Additionally, make sure to use a high-quality brush.
FAQs & Answers
- Q: How long should a curling iron take to heat up?
A: That depends on the appliance and the temperature you select. However, most curling irons will be ready to work in 30-60 seconds after you hit the on/off switch.
- Q: Do I need to wear a heat protective glove?
A: While it is not mandatory to wear a glove that would protect you from heat while operating a curling iron, the experts strongly recommend it. It is the best way of ensuring that you won’t burn your hands in case you make a sloppy move, or the surface of the iron gets too hot.
Additionally, heat gloves are not expensive, and some manufacturers include them in the box with a curling iron.
- Q: Do I need a warranty for my curling iron?
A: We would highly recommend buying a curling iron that comes with a warranty. It is a nice indicator that the manufacturer is ready to take responsibility for the product, and a confirmation they made a reliable appliance. The warranty can vary depending on the brand and the type of the curling iron you choose, but the longer it is, the better.
Make sure to also check out our curling wand buying guide.
Best Curling Iron for Long Hair Comparison Chart
|PRODUCT||PRICE||BARREL TYPE||BARREL SIZE||MAXIMUM HEAT||Weight (lbs)|
|CHI Air Spin N Curl Products||$$||Ceramic||1"||410°F||1|
|Kiss products Ceramic Instawave 1” Automatic Curling Iron||$||Ceramic||1"||420°F||1.2|
|BESTOPE 5 in 1 Ceramic Curling Iron Wand Set||$||Ceramic||0.35 - 1.25"||410°F||2.3|
|HOT TOOLS Signature Series Gold Curling Iron/Wand||$||Gold-plated||3/4 - 1 1/2"||430°F||1.2|
|Bed Head Makin’ Waves"S" Waver Creates Loose Waves||$||Ceramic tourmaline||S-shaped plates||400°F||1|
|INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Tourmaline Ceramic Curling Wand||$||Nano tourmaline ceramic||1"||400°F||0.5|
The fact that you have long hair will somewhat affect the choice of your curling iron. You should go with at least one-inch barrels because it will be easier and quicker to style your hair with them.
However, you should adjust the appliance to the density of your hair, too. The best curling irons for long hair should have various temperature settings because you can make them fit both sensitive and coarse hair.
We hope that our buying guide covered all important sections to consider when buying a curling iron. Take your time in deciding the features you need, and then browse our reviews once again. The chances are at least one curling iron there will meet your expectations.
Apart from choosing the right curling iron, you will also need a bit of practice to learn how to use it. We hope our guidelines will make using your appliance enjoyable, and that you will finally get perfect curls!