With some simple tips in the best curling iron for thick hair reviews, you can not only save time styling your thick hair. You can also have lots of fun trying out all the different methods.
Thick hair, it’s beautiful! It’s full of volume. And it takes more time to do. Face it, ladies, if you want full curly locks, you have to put in the effort.
But it certainly doesn’t have to be a long tedious process.
- Bio Ionic Gold Pro Curling Iron
- PRICE $$
- Plate Material : 24K Gold Ceramic
- Plate Width : 1 inch
- Maximum Heat : 450°F
- T3 Twirl Convertible Curling Iron
- PRICE $$$
- Plate Material : Tourmaline plus ceramic barrel
- Plate Width : 1-2 inch
- Maximum Heat : 410°F
- Babyliss Pro Titanium Spring Curling Iron
- PRICE $
- Plate Material : Nano titanium barrel
- Plate Width : 1-¼ inch
- Maximum Heat : 450°F
- Hot Tools Professional 24 k Gold Plated
- PRICE $
- Plate Material : 24K gold-plated
- Plate Width : 1-1/2 inch
- Maximum Heat : 430°F
- Bed Head Deep Waver
- PRICE $
- Plate Material : Tourmaline ceramic
- Plate Width : 3/4 inch
- Maximum Heat : 400°F
- Remington T Studio Curling Wand
- PRICE $
- Plate Material : Ceramic Pearl
- Plate Width : 1 - 1½ inch
- Maximum Heat : 410°F
- 1 Best Curling Irons for Thick Hair Reviews (Newest Models)
- 2 1. Bio Ionic Gold Pro Curling Iron
- 3 2. T3 Twirl Convertible Curling Iron
- 4 3. Babyliss Pro Titanium Spring Curling Iron
- 5 4. Hot Tools Professional 24 k Gold Plated
- 6 5. Bed Head Deep Waver
- 7 6. Remington T Studio Curling Wand
- 8 Choosing the Best Curling Iron for Thick Hair
- 9 What Exactly Is Thick Hair?
- 10 Temperature Plays a Critical Role in Curling Thick Hair
- 11 The Role a Curling Irons Barrel Plays in Shaping and Curling Thicker Hair
- 12 How to Curl Thick Hair?
- 13 How to Curl Thick Hair with a Curling Iron
- 14 How to Curl Thick Hair with a Curling Wand?
- 15 Best Curling Iron For Thick Hair Comparison Chart
- 16 Some Final Thoughts on Finding the Ideal Curling Iron for Thicker Hair
Best Curling Irons for Thick Hair Reviews (Newest Models)
1. Bio Ionic Gold Pro Curling IronBefore buying a curling iron you have to consider a lot of factors. For women with thick hair, heat is one thing that is dear to them. The gold pro is a great curler for thick hair because of its ability to achieve high temperatures. At a maximum of 450f, the iron can form amazing curls.
The iron has actual gold particles infused on its plates .the 24k gold improves heat distribution giving you constant heat all through the styling process. You don’t have to wait for eons to get the curling wand heated up.40 seconds is all it takes. Thick hair requires patience because of its volume it might take longer to curl all your hair than it would a fine haired person.
For this, the iron is lightweight at only 9.6 ounces. The ergonomic design gives it a comfortable hold, and you would not tire easily while styling with this rod. A long cool tip will aid you in your styling process preventing those fingers from being burnt.
The 1-inch ceramic plates will heat up evenly releasing negative ions that work on thick hair from the inside out. The ions condition your locks and lock in natural moisture. A nine-foot swivel cord makes styling at angles easier.
2. T3 Twirl Convertible Curling IronThick hair needs its heat to hold a great curl for long. The t3 twirl wand provides just that. With a temperature range of 260-410f, the heat range on this curling iron mostly works for normal to thick hair. With the instant heat up time of around 30 seconds, this iron will save up on your time especially in the morning.
The Iron has plates made from ceramic and infused with tourmaline. The ceramic mineral complex provides even heat distribution to the plates that allow your curls to turn out uniformly the Tourmaline emits negative ions that fight humidity reducing frizz. The ions also condition the hair and close the cuticles leaving it extra smooth and shiny.
The iron comes with a heat resistant mat that you can place the iron on while styling. This also keeps the plates clean. The iron has interchangeable barrels so you can create larger or smaller curls. A nine-foot swivel cord makes working the iron at angles a bit simpler.
With dual voltage, you can travel with this iron knowing it will be safe from damage. A great feature on this iron is the automatic shutoff that kicks in after the iron has been working for 60 minutes.
3. Babyliss Pro Titanium Spring Curling IronThe BaByliss Pro curling iron has an amazing one 1/4inch barrel that has a clip. We find that sometimes a clipped curling wand is better for thick hair due to its tendency to not hold well on the barrel. The high heat will help hold curls longer on this curling iron.
The iron is light at a weight of just about 1 pound making sure you don’t get tired while creating your unique hairstyles.
The spring clamp will give you great control on how much tension to apply on the curl you want to hold securely. Remember with thick hair as usual to section off small portions of hair for complete straightening. A nine-foot swivel cord gives you great maneuvering space around your bathroom and styling flexibility.
The surrounding heat feature on the barrel means the entire curl gets exposed to the right amount of heat. You can create loose beach waves using this iron due to the barrel size.
The handle has a great grip for a more comfortable feel. The cooling tip on the top of the iron prevents your fingers from being burnt. Because thick hair can be stubborn to straighten at the roots, invest in a heat protectant glove.
4. Hot Tools Professional 24 k Gold PlatedThe 24 k gold curling iron from Hot Tools is a trusted curling iron among hair caregivers. The gold plated barrel is meant to be durable and provide constant heat.
The one 1/4inch ceramic plates are gentler on each hair strand while providing the right amount of heat. With particular pulse technology that ensures the iron heats up very quickly, this iron will take only a few seconds to reach its maximum temp of 430f.the heat is, of course, ideal for thick hair but can be adjusted to suit other hair types.
The handle has an excellent feature that you will love; it can rotate forward or backward and be reset to create the perfect curls. Thick and curly hair are the most prone to frizz. The ceramic plates on the 24k gold curling iron use ionic energy to condition your hair from the inside out using negative ions to fight frizz and give you perfectly smooth curls.
The results are smooth and shiny hair. The gold infused in the plates is said to keep the iron’s temperature constant, providing the same amount of heat to each curl giving you a uniform look. A nine-foot swivel cord improves the styling process and increases flexibility.
5. Bed Head Deep WaverThe ceramic tourmaline technology in the ¾ inch plates of this deep waver will give you perfectly sculpted mermaid-like waves that are completely free of frizz with moisture locked in.
It heats quickly with instant heat recovery time and features a locking mechanism on the plates for storing and traveling.
6. Remington T Studio Curling WandPart of Remington’s Pearl collection, one of the best-selling curling wands, is infused with real pearls and features digital controls up to 410F with 30-second heat up and 60-minute auto shut off.
A heat-resistant glove is included so that you can wrap your hair around the wand for perfectly shiny curls from root to tip.
You may also like: Remington curling Irons
Choosing the Best Curling Iron for Thick Hair
If you have thick hair you may be among the numerous people who get very frustrated when they go to curl their hair. Even with a curling iron this can be a tough task for those that have it.
This is especially true if you do not have a curling iron that has the right features for handling your sometimes tough to manage thicker hair.
Does the right curling iron really make that much of a difference when you go to curl thick hair? The answer here is a resounding yes. It takes a special combination of temperature, barrel size and barrel length to gain the upper hand on thick hair and put the type of curl in it that you like.
Let’s take a little closer look at the characteristics of thick hair so we can narrow down the type of curling iron that works best on it.
What Exactly Is Thick Hair?
Perhaps the best place to start with our quest to find the ideal curling iron for your thicker hair should start with a little more information about what thick hair is and isn’t. That way you will begin to see why certain curling iron features play an important role in styling and curling it.
First of all, it’s important to know there is a difference between hair thickness and hair density. Just because you have a lot of hair does not necessarily mean your hair is thick. Hair thickness has to do with the diameter of the individual strands of hair you have.
If you slide a strand of your hair between your thumb and forefinger and you can still feel the strand in a pronounced manner when doing this, chances are your hair is pretty thick. Since your hair is thick you will then have to be more aggressive when you are trying to put it into a curl because its thickness makes it naturally more resistant to being shaped.
Temperature Plays a Critical Role in Curling Thick Hair
One of the reasons that thick hair is tougher to manage and style than thin or fine hair is the strength of its hydrogen bonds. The thicker your hair the stronger these bonds will be and in turn, the tougher they will be to break down with a curling iron. It’s no secret among hair styling professionals that the best way to break down strong hydrogen bonds in your thick hair is to attack it with very high heat.
Because of that, you will need a curling that has the following heat-related features:
Has a max heating temperature of 300 degrees or better (a curling iron with several different high heat settings is preferred)
Has barrel a that is ceramic or titanium coated for even high heat distribution and rapid heat rise that does not fluctuate
Once you weaken the hydrogen bonds in your hair with intense heat it then becomes much more pliable so you can then curl and shape it easier.
The Role a Curling Irons Barrel Plays in Shaping and Curling Thicker Hair
Thicker hair is generally tougher to grab with a curling iron barrel than fine or thinner hair is. Because of this, it stands to reason that you will need some more pronounced barrel features on the curling iron that you use. Look for a curling iron that has at least the following two barrel characteristics in order to curl your thick hair more easily.
Has a barrel that is 6 inches or longer to speed up the hair curling task by being able to process larger amounts of hair at one time
Has a barrel width of at least 1 ¼ inches or better in order to grasp your thick hair better as you go to twist it and curl it
The important role the proper barrel sizes play in curling thick hair cannot be emphasized enough.
How to Curl Thick Hair?
No matter what you choose, consider this first: The right styling products for prep work are key to the gorgeous results. Choose an anti-frizz shampoo and go light on the conditioner.
Conditioner can easily weigh down long hair, and curls fall out more easily in oily hair. Similarly, have a favorite finishing spray on hand that will help fight frizz all day long.
Always dry your hair completely. Applying direct heat to hair that’s even a little bit wet will literally fry it. Choose a heat protectant spray or serum that will add a layer of protection between your cuticles and the heat. Apply this both before drying and before styling.
Here’s a general rule of thumb for barrel width. Bigger barrel = larger wider waves. Smaller = tight curls, and more of them. The choice is yours!
Before starting any method, separate hair in as many sections as needed and secure the top portions with claw or duckbill clips. Work from back to front.
Alright, let’s get to styling!
How to Curl Thick Hair with a Curling Iron
- The key with a curling iron is to continue to pump the hinge as you curl so that the heat does not sit on section of hair too long or create strange lines as you go.
- Starting one to two inches from the root of each section, wrap the hair around the iron and gently clamp to hold the hair in place. Pump the hinge with your thumb a few times as you pull it through the hair toward the ends.
- As you reach the tip of your hair, gently wind the hair back up toward itself so that the ends are perfectly curled.
- Allow the curl to fall loosely, giving a couple seconds to cool before moving to the next pieces.
- Use your fingers to style, or even flip your head upside down and shake gradually before applying the finishing spray.
How to Curl Thick Hair with a Curling Wand?
Wind It Up
- The key with a wand is to use both hands equally. One hand holds the wand, and the other does the wrapping. Position the wand an inch or two from the base of each section, wrapping hair all the way down the barrel until you reach the ends.
- Use a glove to protect your fingertips if necessary.
- As you wrap, keep all hair facing in the same direction around the wand to create uniform waves on thick hair. To create contrasting waves, twist the hair as you wrap at the same time.
- To release each section, simply let go with the hand that’s holding the hair and the wand will slide right out.
- Continue this way, choosing larger or small sections of hair as you like. When finished, use fingers to comb through hair as you spray to ensure that each piece gets misted with a little bit of the product.
Best Curling Iron For Thick Hair Comparison Chart
|PRODUCT||PRICE||PLATE MATERIAL||PLATE WIDTH||MAXIMUM HEAT|
|Bio Ionic Gold Pro Curling Iron||$$||24K Gold Ceramic||1 inch||450°F|
|T3 Twirl Convertible Curling Iron||$$$||Tourmaline plus ceramic barrel||1-2 inch||410°F|
|Babyliss Pro Titanium Spring Curling Iron||$||Nano titanium barrel||1-¼ inch||450°F|
|Hot Tools Professional 24 k Gold Plated||$||24K gold-plated||1-1/2 inch||430°F|
|Bed Head Deep Waver||$||Tourmaline ceramic||3/4 inch||400°F|
|Remington T Studio Curling Wand||$||Ceramic Pearl||1 - 1½ inch||410°F|
Some Final Thoughts on Finding the Ideal Curling Iron for Thicker Hair
Curling your thick hair does not have to be as tough as it seems sometimes. Many people simply use the wrong type of curling iron on their thick hair and then wonder why they are having such a hard time achieving putting in their hair the type of curl they are looking for.
This all can be overcome by purchasing a curling iron that has adjustable high heat and a generous size barrel length and diameter. If you were struggling to curl your hair before you will be amazed how simple your hair is to curl with the right type curling iron.
We hope our curling irons for thick hair reviews will help you to finally choose the one that perfectly suits your needs and match your hair’s texture…