We know, it’s kind of a no-brainer why the quietest hair dryer is such a good thing.
Unless you live alone in a cave, you run the risk of annoying the people around you with your loud hair styling tools.
Waking sleeping babies, spouses, or siblings only leaves them upset with you, nevermind the fact that no one likes to have a loud humming motor in their own ears every day.
Quiet blow dryers are a nice peaceful way to start your day, so we’ve picked our top 4 just for you.
We also round up the top-rated professional hair dryer reviews currently available on the market, covering everything from budget tough dryers to advanceds. Check it out now!
Centrix Q-Zone Dryer
||View On Amazon|
MHU Professional Salon Blow Dryer
||View On Amazon|
Whisper Quiet Lite Hair Dryer
||View On Amazon|
TURBO POWER Twinturbo 2800 Coldmatic Hair Dryer 314
||View On Amazon|
Elchim 3900 Healthy Ionic Ceramic Hair Dryer
||View On Amazon|
- 1 Quietest Hair Dryer Reviews (Recommended Picks)
- 2 1. Centrix Q-Zone Dryer
- 3 2. MHU Professional Salon Blow Dryer
- 4 3. Whisper Quiet Lite Hair Dryer
- 5 4. TURBO POWER Twinturbo 2800 Coldmatic Hair Dryer 314
- 6 5. Elchim 3900 Healthy Ionic Ceramic Hair Dryer
- 7 6. Parlux Eco-Friendly 3800 Ionic Hair Dryer
- 8 7. Conditioning Dryer Whisper Light
- 9 8. HOT TOOLS HT7000Q Whisper Quiet Hair Dryer
- 10 9. Velecta Paramount X:Q Onyx Quiet Blow Dryer
- 11 10. Onei MK-II Air Ionique Hair Dryer
- 12 Quiet Hair Dryers Buying Guide
- 13 8 Things to Consider Before Buying The Quietest Hair Dryer!
- 14 Multiple Heat Technologies
- 15 Dual Air Flow
- 16 Decibel Noise Level
- 17 Wattage
- 18 AC motors
- 19 Multiple Heat and Speed Settings
- 20 Ultra-Light Design
- 21 Warranty
- 22 What is the Number One Thing to Look for in a Quiet Hair Dryer?
- 23 Surprising Health Benefits of Quiet Hair Dryers
- 24 5 Reasons to Look For The Quietest Hair Dryer You Can Find
- 25 Quietest Hair Dryers Comparison Chart
- 26 Bottom Line
Quietest Hair Dryer Reviews (Recommended Picks)
1. Centrix Q-Zone DryerWe really liked this very quiet hair dryer model from Centrix. It is definitely one of the quietest hair dryers you will ever use. When running its very powerful 1500 watt two-speed motor emits only 74 decibels of sound intensity on the low-speed setting and 82 decibels of sound intensity when running on the high-speed setting.
This Centrix hair dryer features what the company refers to as their ‘quiet running technology’. Even what little sound that does come out of it seems softer than the sound you are used to hearing come out of a normal hair dryer. It also has three different heat settings so you can somewhat customize this dryer to fit your own personal hair drying preferences.
Although it can be a little bulky to hold because of its design, it’s still a very lightweight 1.7 pounds and easy to use. On the highest speed settings, it will dry short to medium length damp hair in just a few minutes. It even comes with an included air concentration attachment and is backed up by the manufacturer with a full one year warranty.
- Special quiet running technology
- Extremely lightweight at 1.7 pounds
- Includes an air stream concentrating attachment
- Powerful 1500 watt two-speed motor
- These are lightweight but still bulky to hold
- Tough to use with one hand because of the scattered button positions
2. MHU Professional Salon Blow DryerHere is a quiet 75 max decibel hair dryer model that not only performs well but is sleek looking and easy to use also. It features many special technologies built into it that will make any hair drying task go quicker and get it done without the usual annoying loud hair dryer noise.
It has a very powerful 2 speed/3 heat setting motor. At 1875 watts it dries hair much faster than most ordinary hair dryers for sure. Among the technologies that enable this model hair dryer to work extremely well are its far-infrared heat setup and its specially designed negative ion components that reduce static buildup.
This hair dryer kit also includes two very nice attachments. They are a diffuser that helps separate hairs for faster drying and a concentrator for directing more airflow to a specific area of your head.
Other than a few minor annoyances like the awkward position of the off/on switch and its slightly heavy feel, it’s a very well-designed and quiet salon quality hair dryer.
- Powerful 1875 watt motor
- Uses special Infrared Heat/Negative Ion Technology
- Includes an air flow concentrator and diffuser
- 2 speeds/3 heat settings
- Slightly to the heavy side at 2.5 pounds
- Awkwardly positioned On/Off button
3. Whisper Quiet Lite Hair DryerThis is one of our favorite hair dryers on our top review list. It runs very quiet at 70 – 74 decibels of sound intensity. This dryer also features 2 different speed settings on its very good 1400 watt blower motor. It truly is a salon quality hair drying tool.
Its 4 different heat settings are more than most quiet hair dryers in its class have and this will really tend to personalize your hair drying experience. It also has a conveniently located quick cool button that will direct a blast of cooler air exactly where it’s needed. The quick cool feature was designed to enable you to keep drying a damp area of hair without over-drying and damaging the follicles in the process.
This hair dryer does not build up static electricity when operating it thanks to its ceramic tourmaline negative ion technology. It’s a smaller model hair dryer that only weighs 16 ounces and its compact design makes it very easy to hold too.
- Quick cool blast button
- Ceramic tourmaline ionic technology
- Lightweight 16 ounces
- 2 speeds/4 heat settings
- Working the on/off and heat switches takes a little getting used too
- The attachments can be hard to put on and take off for some
4. TURBO POWER Twinturbo 2800 Coldmatic Hair Dryer 314If you think this hair dryer has a powerful sounding name wait until you experience how fast its powerful 1875 watts will dry your hair. It features a more powerful airflow than you will see in just about any hair dryer in its class. It is one of the few hair dryer models that even make short work of drying longer length hair. At 87 decibels it’s fairly quiet running too and that means it has a nice mix of noise control and rapid drying power.
Not only is this hair dryer powerful but it can also be used for an extended period of time thanks to its built-in Anti-overheat technology. It also features a quick cool button that is easy to activate even when holding this hair dryer with just one hand. In general, all the operating buttons on this fine hair dryer model are well-positioned and easy to work.
It’s slightly heavy at 2.24 pounds which is more than the other model hair dryers on our top review. We will add that it’s nicely balanced to help offset its weight some too. With the Twinturbo 2800, you can choose between 2-speed settings and 3 different heat settings also. It does come with a handy air concentrating attachment but sadly there is no diffuser attachment that comes with it.
- Cool airflow button
- Anti-overheat technology
- Powerful 1875 watt airflow
- Well-positioned 3 heat and 2 speed setting buttons
- This dryer is a slightly heavy 2.24 pounds
- Does not come with a diffuser attachment
5. Elchim 3900 Healthy Ionic Ceramic Hair DryerHere is a quiet running 88 decibel hair dryer that features a lot of unusual proprietary technology that makes it superior to most hair dryers in its class. Not only does it not produce the annoying noise of other model hair dryers but this hair dryer is easy to use and will dry your hair very efficiently too.
It’s a hair dryer model that features a powerful 2000 watt motor to generate its very generous amount of air flow. It has 2 different speed settings and 3 heat selection buttons that will help customize its use to your individual blow drying preferences. Like most professional style hair dryers it can also deliver a quick blast of cool air just by clicking a button.
Its built-in negative ion and far-infrared technologies are some features that are preferred by many salon professionals.
Even though this hair dryer is small its powerful motor makes it a little heavy. Its power cord is a little on the short side for some peoples liking also. The lifetime warranty is definitely a really nice bonus that you get with this model hair dryer.
- Healthy Ionic/Ceramic technology
- 2000 watt motor
- Far-infrared heat
- Lifetime warranty
- Cord can be a little short for some users
- Some users will also find the high power setting blows their hair around too much
Parlux Eco-Friendly 3800 Ionic Hair Dryer
||View On Amazon|
Conditioning Dryer Whisper Light
||View On Amazon|
HOT TOOLS HT7000Q Whisper Quiet Hair Dryer
||View On Amazon|
Velecta Paramount X:Q Onyx Quiet Blow Dryer
||View On Amazon|
6. Parlux Eco-Friendly 3800 Ionic Hair DryerDon’t let the number fool you. 3800 might be just a wee too powerful for a hair dryer. But at a solid 2100 watts, this Parlux Ionic Hair Dryer is doing exactly what other companies and hair dryers should be doing for the market – keeping the environment in mind. Yes, eco is all the rage, but how does that extend to hair styling tools? With hair dryers made of ozone-friendly recyclable materials, of course. Now when you style your hair, you can know you’re doing your part.
The low noise silencer is a great bonus for ionic hair dryer technology. Plus, you’ll have a whole four heat settings to choose from so that you can maintain control over just how much heat your hair receives on a daily basis. Start low and ramp up as you continue to dry and complete the look, then hit it with that last cool shot.
Curly hair types tend to return to their wavey origins after straightening. To hold that straight line that you strive for the best hair dryer for curly hair is Parlux with its different heat modes.
There is only one type of attachment – the concentrator. A diffuser does not come with this particular model. As many blow dryer reviews have noted, you get what you pay for, and this Parlux is worth the investment.
7. Conditioning Dryer Whisper LightThe lower wattage but high drying power of this Bio Ionic model help keep it in our list of hair dryers.
On the lower setting, you can still carry on a normal conversation without even raising your voice a smidge. And the highest setting doesn’t stray far from that. It’s packed with trademarked nano ionic minerals to keep the moisture in and dry, damaged hair out. This increases shine and your ability to manage your style day-to-day.
Negative ions and far infrared energy seal in the cuticle with its ultra-fast drying.
There are 3 heat settings. By using the lower heat settings you can blow dry your fine and delicate hair without worrying about burning those beautiful strands!
Though the nozzle is a bit longer and therefore not as compact as other quiet hair dryers in our favorites lists, it’s still extremely lightweight. One concentrator is included as well as an easily removable filter.
8. HOT TOOLS HT7000Q Whisper Quiet Hair Dryer
The name really paints the picture – whisper. At one of the lowest decibel levels able to be designed in a hair dryer, this Hot Tools version also gives you that reduced drying time we all love so much while getting ready for the day or a night out.
A low-EMF, 1600-watt professional level turbo motor combines with all those tiny negative ions to give you the most amount of shine in the least amount of time.
A concentrator and diffuser are included, but the diffuser also comes with a pik for pulling apart curls without any tangles. The pik can be used separately or even attached to the hair dryer itself by using it in combination with the concentrator.
Talk about efficiency! It comes with multiple speeds and a locking cool shot button. This is so much better than other quiet hair dryers that make you hold the cool button in the entire time you are using it. An 8-foot cord is also attached.
9. Velecta Paramount X:Q Onyx Quiet Blow Dryer
The super sleek onyx design of this Velecta is as futuristic as it looks. With 2000 watts behind this energy-efficient motor, you wouldn’t believe just how much noise is reduced. Speeds reach up to 81 miles per hour, but you’d never know it by the extremely quiet motor.
You just have to feel it to believe it. It tops out around 64 decibels. To give you an idea, that’s only the same as a restaurant crowd conversation.
Tourmaline and ceramic elements create even heating for equal heat applied to the blow drying of each section.
The hair dryer both lightweight and ergonomic.
It comes with a traditional barrel extension plus one concentrator for speed and one for precision. If you have straight and thick hair but you want beachy waves the cool shot button on the Velecta makes this hair dryer the best for thick hair and locking those curls in.
Since this quiet hair dryer truly was designed for salon use, it’s not only perfect for translating salon style to the home, but it’s a perfect choice for our hairstylist friends. Your salon is already hopping and noisy, to begin with, so why not tame some of that volume?
This Velecta hair dryer will allow you to style your clients perfectly while still carrying on a normal level conversation with them.
10. Onei MK-II Air Ionique Hair Dryer
One of the most powerful of our favorite quiet blow dryers! This hair dryer does your blowout fast but quietly. Whether for home use or for hair stylists, the far infrared energy is only enhanced by the ability to actually choose between negative and positive ions with a separate button just for each.
Add that to the multiple levels of heat and speed and a cool shot button, and the combination of choices equals twelve unique ones. This is perhaps one of the most precise, quiet blow dryers you can find. It will practically style your hair for you!
For stylists – why should your clients get stuck reading a magazine simply because they can’t hear you?
The low noise level of only 75 decibels in this Onei hair dryer (about the same as a passenger car or living room TV) means that you’ll still be able to maintain normal conversations throughout the blowout.
Quiet Hair Dryers Buying Guide
A loud hair dryer is the last thing one wants to wake up too early in the morning. Not only is a loud hair dryer detrimental to your hearing, chronic exposure to sounds can wreak havoc on hair cells, causing them to degenerate.
8 Things to Consider Before Buying The Quietest Hair Dryer!
Multiple Heat Technologies
Ceramic, tourmaline, and ionic technology works to add volume and shine to your hair while protecting it from over-heating. While some dryers carry one, others have several and a few carryall. Among the drying technologies, the ionic-based technology produces the least noise. A quiet ionic hair dryer works just as effectively as the standard ionic dryers. The only noticeable difference is their lightweight design which may contribute to low noise levels.
Ionic technology in hair dryers helps to eliminate static, save moisture, reduce frizz and give hair more bounce, smoothness and shine. The ionic technology works to reduce drying time. Similar to ceramic technology, infrared also helps to distribute heat and dry hair fast without over-drying.
Dual Air Flow
Dual airflow works to regular airflow, which is a fixed clearance between body and fan and an efficiency fat for smooth airflow to reduce operation noise.
Decibel Noise Level
Nowadays, many hair dryers claim to be quiet while only a few truly are. The average hair dryer runs at almost 50-60 decibels which is better than it was at 80 decibels a decade ago. However, 50 decibels is still quite loud and may still affect our hearing. Anything over 80 decibels is considered to be extremely loud.
High-end models offer advanced technology that runs as low as 10 to 30 decibels. If you are looking for the safest hair dryer, look for a dryer that produces less than 40 decibels. Disappointingly, most manufacturers are not required to publish the levels of their given decibels. Overexposure to noise can add up if you frequently blow dry your hair.
Quiet hair dryers are usually within the mid0range of 1400 to 1600 Watts. Although many hair dryers with 1875 watts are quite silent in performance.
What makes AC motors quieter than others is that it reduces the noise output from the dryer. While AC motors are a bit heavier than DC motors, it will clearly have much less noise.
Multiple Heat and Speed Settings
With multiple heat and speed settings, you will have full control of the noise and speed. With a cool shot button, this will allow you to lock in style and dry hair at ultra-cool speed.
Models with an ultra-light design allow you to style even the thickest hair for long periods of time, without hurting your arm or hand.
As for any hair dryer, the longer the warranty, the better. A majority of hair dryers tend to die prematurely, especially when used daily. When buying a high-quality hair dryer, it is highly recommended to choose one with a 2-year to lifetime warranty.
What is the Number One Thing to Look for in a Quiet Hair Dryer?
To know if an item is truly considered quiet, first check the decibel level. Anything under 85 means you’re pretty safe but closer to 60 is the ideal range.
If you’re not sure what the actual sound measurement is, then a lower wattage is also a safe bet, though not all lower wattages dry as quickly. If you’re still not sold, read up on reviews of what other customers are saying. Or, as we’re sure you know by now, always trust our judgment!
Surprising Health Benefits of Quiet Hair Dryers
Any doctor would tell you that prolonged exposure to sounds over 85 decibels pose a risk to your hearing. That doesn’t just mean those headphones you keep in your ears all day, but any loud noises you experience, including your hair dryer. With some older or less expensive models, it could take you 20-30 minutes of drying time.
Combined with the loud noise, just think of what you’re doing to your ears over time. An investment in a quiet hair dryer is; saves you both time spent exposed to noise and the noise level itself.
The long-term exposure to high heat and noise close to your ears isn’t exactly healthy, especially if you blow dry every day. According to the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), employees should never be exposed to any type of noise that is more than 90 decibels. But the average hair dryer today is around 85 decibels and powerful dryer go about 90-100 decibel levels.
5 Reasons to Look For The Quietest Hair Dryer You Can Find
- Decrease the Risk of Hearing Loss
Any doctor will tell you that any long-term exposure to sounds over 80 decibels is harmful to your hearing. Just imagine your ears being exposed to loud noise for more than 20-30 minutes each day.
- No Rude Awakenings
Unless you live alone, chances are you’re living at home with someone, whether your spouse, baby or even a roommate. Nobody wants to hear you dry your hair at 6 AM every morning. With a quiet hair dryer, you can have voluminous stylish hair in the morning without the risk of waking someone else up.
- You Can Still Hear Yourself Talk
With a significant reduction in noise levels, having conversations with your partner or friends is easy. You won’t have to repeatedly turn off the hair dryer once someone asks you a question. This is also great if you need to hear your baby, especially in the morning.
- Calm & Peaceful
A quiet hair dryer allows you to start your day in a nice, calm and peaceful way – with stylish hair of course. You can wake up, get ready and style your hair without all the noise.
- AC Motors
Most quiet hair dryers often have AC motors. The benefit of AC motors is that it reduces the noise output from the dryer. If you’re looking for something lighter, DC motors will make it easier to dry hair longer without arm fatigue.
How to not let your hair dryer fry your hair: Most Common Blow Drying Mistakes are here!
If you are also looking for a hair dryer perfect for black hair, check out this post!
Quietest Hair Dryers Comparison Chart
|PRODUCT||PRICE||Watts||Number of Speeds||Num of Heat Settings|
|Centrix Q-Zone Dryer||$$||1500||2||2|
|MHD Professional Salon Blow Dryer||$||1875||2||3|
|Whisper Quiet Lite Hair Dryer||$$||1400||2||4|
|TURBO POWER Twinturbo 2800 Coldmatic Hair Dryer 314||$$||1875||2||3|
|Elchim 3900 Healthy Ionic Ceramic Hair Dryer||$$$||2000||2||3|
|Velecta Paramount X:Q Onyx Quiet Blow Dryer||$$$$||2000||2||2|
|Parlux Eco Friendly 3800 Ionic Hair Dryer||$$$$||2100||2||4|
|Conditioning Dryer Whisper Light||$$||1400||3||3|
|Onei MK-II Air Ionique Hair Dryer||$$$||1800||3||3|
|HOT TOOLS HT7000Q Whisper Quiet Hair Dryer||$||1600||3||2|
Quiet blow dryers are not always easy to find. Many make claims that they are not noisy until you get home and find that you’re literally being blown away! Trust one of the quiet blow dryers we’ve reviewed here, and you’ll spare both your drying time and your precious hearing.
Love to hear what you think about the quietest hair dryer recommendations!